Sunday, July 24, 2011

A skirt for a doll {or a human}

Hello again and happy Sunday. Yesterday I made a couple of crafts I am excited to show y'all. First off a lovely skirt for an American Girl doll. 


     So you see my all of my sisters friends are getting American Girl dolls. Since everybody had one of course she needed one too, right? Well despite the fact that we had 2 old AG dolls downstairs. So my sweet sister saved up all $115 for her doll. 


Now once you empty your wallet for an AG doll you still have to buy her clothes which in some cases are more expensive than real human outfits. So... long story short I am making some clothing for AG doll so I can test some of my skirt patterns without having to buy a bunch of fabric. Win-win right?


Here is how to make the skirt. 1 large rectangle with width double how big the waist is. The waist was about 13 inches so I would cut about 26 inches of fabric. Now I didn't actually have 26 inches so I just did the best I could and it still looked good. The length is about to the knee with a little seam allowance.  Optional- serge the top and bottom.
Hem the bottom {just fold up a little and sew around}


Fold in half wrong sides out (printed side on the inside.) Serge or sew down the side. Flip it inside out. Voila you are almost done. 


To make the little band you will need a  strip of fabric as big as the waist. Fold it in half wrong sides together and serge or sew.





Here comes the tricky part.  I will show you some pictures first to get you ready.




Do you see it? you match up the two serge sides and 'ease' them together. Let me break it down a little. You take the serge end of the band and match it up with the top (waist) of the skirt. So at this point you have a short length of fabric and a long one and you want them to match up. do some pleating/wrinkling action until they are the the same. Get it? Contact me if you have question.


Fold up the band and iron the top up and you are all done! You can add a little bow if you would like-- I will do a tutorial on that tomorrow.




If you want to make a human skirt use the same instruction except with your measurments.

No comments:

Post a Comment